hiatus and open-source tango

Thursday 23 September 2010 at 15:47
It's been a while. I've thought about blogging, but just not made the time in recent months. The main reason for breaking the hiatus is my starting to run a guided practica and wanting to share my session plans. My reason for doing that is partly because I'm interested in the input of other teachers and dancers, I enjoy sharing ideas and partly because posting them online will encourage me to make the notes more readable. Next year I plan a book on tango, which these notes may grow into part of. Two session plans will follow in the next day or so.

I'm pretty excited about beginning to teach tango 'officially'. I know that it will enhance my own learning as well as that of others. The practicas are currently held at the Povey's dance studio in Southampton, 159 Shirley road, every monday, 8-11pm. They are open to all and cost £3 per person to cover hall costs.

Other news. The revised edition of 'Healthy Loving Relationships' is very nearly finished. What was a 133 page book is now 280. Yep, it's become quite a fat little pocket book. But so much improved over the original. It's now a 2 year project over all. Committing myself for the last year to re-working it, without income, has been a struggle. One I wouldn't swap for anything else though. The sense of inspiration, contribution and deepening understanding I've gained is truly priceless. All that remains now is to gather a little more feedback and proof readers (so get in touch if you'd like to be a part of this project). I feel confident about getting it out there before the end of Oct, but we shall see.

One recent development that helped spur me on was the generous offering of feedback from a number of experts in the field of conflict resolution, on the section of my book covering conflicts in relationships and how to resolve them in a way that maximizes everyone's benefit. I'm very excited about that.

Well that's it for now.

Accept to mention my new fitness obsession: Kettlebells. Essentially solid iron cannon balls with handles that you lift and swing. I'm quite smitten with mine. It's just so simple and effective. There's a lot of skill involved in using it as well as strength (please don't start using one without at least studying a instructional book on it. Serious injuries await you, otherwise). It requires full concentration and delivers a lot of rewards for the effort. Three 20 minutes sessions a week is all you need. I admit, with pride, mine lives at the bottom of my bed. On that thought, I'll say good night.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Noise Floor Heresy | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com